Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blog Post #4

First of all, in order to talk about how the song “Politically Uncorrect” makes an argument about class, I need to know more about which jobs classify as middle and lower class jobs, which could just be a matter of opinion. The song lists different jobs that have a negative connotation, and to better understand the song, I need more examples of jobs like this. I also need to know background information about the writers of the song in order to understand where they came from and why they would feel compelled to write about how the world views class. Knowing about the writer of a text, song, movie or any other type of media helps to better understand the message that is being presented. All artists create work that they are passionate about, so there must be a particular reason that Gretchen Wilson decided to sing about how the world views the middle class. Another thing I need to know more about in order to talk about the song is how people in the Southern areas view different classes versus how people living in the big cities view different classes. Often, country singers sing songs to represent the lower and middle class, implying that people living in those Tennessee-South Caroline regions are not members of the upper class. To better understand the song, I need to look at the different incomes in that area as opposed to the incomes in other areas of the U.S. That would help me to understand why country singers are so pro-middle class.

No comments:

Post a Comment