Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Roseanne Response

I really enjoyed watching Roseanne today (even though I think her voice would get a tad annoying, sorry), and can see how it was popular for so many years. I love the fact that it is so relatable, and can see how so many people would tune in week after week. The concept of a working class mother seemed to be missing from sitcoms during that time, and seeing a mom that struggled with raising her three kids and working a full time job was refreshing. Many people can relate to that, because so many working class mothers in the late 80s and early 90s had to start working just to keep food on the table for their children.

When I was watching this episode, I was picturing people coming home from work, sitting around the TV with their families and getting a good laugh out of this show. They would be able to say things like “Hey, remember when we fought about money like that too!” The show brings up topics that resonate so well with the working class. I do not believe that the show is making fun of the working class. Instead, I think it is working to create an outlet for them to relieve a little stress and see that other people struggle just like they do, and that there is no reason to get worked up about it. The show shows that there are a lot of people that do not love their job, but they do what they need to to get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment