Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Rosanne Response
In the Rosanne episode, the average family was depicted, at least in my opinion. My household at home consisted of my mom, stepfather, sister, and myself. Both of my parents worked at a local Delphi factory. The issues that arose in the film were no stranger to my household. A few years before taking the buyout, my stepfather was laid off for a few months. In that period of time his jobs future was uncertain. While hos unemployment was not the full amount of his salary, I can remember him and my mom arguing over financial responsibilities. I can also relate to the part of the episode where the teacher suggested that Rosanne not spending time at home due to working was affecting her daughter’s behavior. A few years ago, my mother and stepfather separated. In order to maintain our household, my mom would work a lot of overtime. It felt as though I never saw her. So to some people who have always had a home with two parents who had steady jobs, this show seems like a funny unrealistic fantasy, but for me it was all too familiar. Rosanne almost missing her conference with her daughter’s teacher rang bells to me. I can remember having to give my mom extensive notices for school events because she needed ample time to find someone to cover her shift or to call off in advance. If I didn’t, I could forget about her attending. If I would’ve seen this episode on TV, it wouldn’t be something I immediately related to social class issues because I lived similar circumstances.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment