Before taking this class, I never really saw social class as an issue that America faces today, and I am still not entirely sure that it is something that we should be particularly worried about. I think that social classes and the concept of class warfare is actually a good thing. No matter what, people are always going to make different incomes, and policies are always going to favor one class over the other. I think that there are negatives and positives to every social class. Different policies cater to different classes, and that is okay.
When I think about class issues, the first thing I think of is the sinking of the Titanic, and how being in a certain social class was an issue of life or death. The fact that they organized lifeboats by class is just ridiculous. How much money one makes should never determine whether they live or die. During this time period, I think the organization of the class system was inhuman. First class passengers got to get into the lifeboats first, so almost all of them survived. Many third class passengers didn’t even get to use a lifeboat at all, causing them to go into the ice cold water unprepared. This was a time when status was everything. I think that is why when I look at the current class system, I don’t see it as being an issue, when compared to 1914. I think we have come so far, and I don’t see it getting much better in the next 100 years. Class systems and class warfare are necessary for a country to function, and the way they are currently is not terrible.
No comments:
Post a Comment