Thursday, September 29, 2011

post #3-Politically Uncorrect

Politically Uncorrect

The primary source I chose is the song “Politically Uncorrect” by Gretchen Wilson. The song was written by Gretchen Wilson and was on her CD titled “All Jacked Up”,which was released in 2005 by Epic Nashville. The song discusses the idea of the average working man, and how he gets no respect in America today. Gretchen says it is not politically correct to stand for these types of things, but that she stands for it anyway. The song also lists different jobs that are not seen as high class jobs.

The message contained in this song is an angry one to a certain extent. The song raises the idea that the working middle class is not valued in America as it should be, but that there are people out there who realize how truly important it is to keeping America functioning the way it is today.


The second source I am thinking about using is the novel Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. The novel deals with the issues of class in the nineteenth century. The story is about two kids living during a time when social status was everything, and when it was almost impossible to be friends with someone outside of one’s class. It was frowned upon by everyone around them for the two main characters to become friends.

The novel is interesting because it shows how ridiculous class warfare can be. The only reason I am hesitant to use it is because it is not current and is a bit of a difficult read.

1 comment:

  1. Although I have never heard this song personally, I agree with the message it conveys. Coming from a town where jobs are scarce, I have learned to appreciate everything and everyone. So when people dismiss the middle class, dismiss the trash men, dismiss the construction men, dismiss the servers at restaurants, I feel frustrated. In America, all jobs contribute to stimulating the economy, so how can we write off the importance of some just because of the amount of wages it acquires? And furthermore, how can we allow ourselves to be influenced to disrespect the people who labor hard every day on the basis that we make more than them sitting behind a desk? I think that people in America should stop looking at themselves as superior and realize that all men are created equal.

    ReplyDelete